The dog days of summer have arrived in Vail. Now – to give you some perspective here – this means temps are in the high 80s and sometimes low 90s. We locals think this is hot. Our lodging guests in town from Texas, the East coast or the Midwest, think it’s balmy in comparison to their hot and humid locales. It’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it? Regardless, everyone wants to stay cool in the summertime and here are some of our favorite ways to do it in Vail:
- Stay at Lodge at Lionshead and plan on spending copious amounts of time at our beautiful pool alongside Gore Creek.
- Go whitewater rafting on one of the many great area trips. The refreshing water feels SO good on a hot summer day.
- To get even more up close & personal with the whitewater learn to kayak or stand up paddle with Alpine Quest Sports.
- Hike up high. Elevation around Vail Pass starts at 10,000 ft. so it’s a good 10 degrees cooler and the wildflowers are amazing right now!
- Go paragliding – you’ll get all kinds of cool breezes as you soar through the air.
- Take an afternoon ice cream break at Haagan Daas or Rimini (serving delicious gelato) in Lionshead.
- Have lunch creekside in Vail or Lionshead. Most restaurants have outdoor seating with plenty of umbrellas for shade. My favorite is Sapphire by the creek in Vail Village.
- Ride the gondola and hang out at 10,000 ft. Play bocce ball, horseshoes, eat lunch, have cocktails, do an easy hike, etc.
- Remember it is cooler the higher up you go.
- Go fly fishing. Wade fishing is the norm right now, so you’ll be knee deep in the cool river plus the guides serve up great gourmet lunches.
- Check out the new movie theatre at Solaris when it opens this Friday. We hear it’s very posh, serves food and beverages and of course, will be cool!
Got some great suggestions of your own? Please let us know and stay cool this summer!