Skiing and other winter sports can require a lot more clothing and gear than other activities. If you’re planning a winter trip to Vail, we’ve got you covered! We’ve rounded up our best ski trip packing tips, so you can be sure to bring everything you’ll need.
Whether you’re visiting Vail, Colorado in the winter or in the summer, there are countless adventures to be had! Access our complimentary Vacation Guide for all the best restaurants, shopping, and things to do in our breathtaking region.
Ski Trip Packing Tips: Everything You’ll Need Before Hitting the Slopes
While you’re flying down the ski slope with the wind in your face, you’re going to need lots of layers to stay warm and protect your skin from windburn.
- Base layer for top and bottom.
- Socks – ski or snowboard specific are best
- Insulating mid layer like a fleece jacket
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Stocking hat or baklava and helmet
- Neck gaiter
- Waterproof gloves or mittens
- Face mask to wear at indoor facilities on mountain
Although you can rent any equipment you’ll need for skiing or snowboarding at Vail Mountain, you can save on your trip and not have to worry about returning it if you bring your own gear.
- Skis or Snowboard
- Ski Poles
- Ski Boots or Snowboard Boots
- Hydration Pack
- Waterproof Watch
Casual Winter Clothes
While you explore Vail or lounge around the lodge, you’ll want some warm and comfy clothes.
- Sweatpants and/or Leggings
- Warm Jacket
- Winter Hat
- Plenty of Warm Socks
- Waterproof Shoes – make sure you can walk in the snow in them
- Shoe Chains
- Warm Pants – jeans should work
- Long-sleeve Tops
- Undergarments – consider something warm like long underwear
- Swim Suit – for the outdoor heated pools and hot tubs at Lodge at Lionshead
No matter the trip, you’re going to need your toiletries. Here are some you’ll definitely want to bring while packing for a ski trip.
- Aloe Vera Cream
- Lip Balm with SPF
- Hair Ties
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Cotton Balls
- Makeup Remover
- Contact solution
- Cases for Glasses and Contacts
- Shaving Cream – don’t forget any other shaving products you might use
- Nail Clippers
Other Things for Ski Trip Packing
There are some other ski vacation packing tips you’ll want to know. The items below will make your trip smoother.
- Lift Tickets/Passes
- Wallet and ID
- Insurance Cards
- Water Bottle
- First Aid Kit
- Sewing Kit
- Music Player
- All Chargers You’ll Need
- Face Mask
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hand Warmers
- Day Bag/Purse
- Laundry Bag
- Baby/Child Needs – anything you might need for the children traveling with you
Now that you know just what you need for your ski trip packing list, it’s time to start planning your winter vacation to Vail! Lodge at Lionshead features great amenities like a sauna, hot tubs, a fitness center, and top-of-the-line Concierge Services. We also offer luxurious condos in different sizes ranging from studios to four-bedrooms. Plus, the Lodge is next to the lifts for easy access to the slopes! Browse our accommodations and start packing for your ski trip to Vail!